Monday, July 26, 2010

The Airport


                               Addis Ababa-Bole Airport

We arrived in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia February 19, 2010. After my mom, Scott and I obtained our visas we had to have our luggage scanned upon leaving the airport.  Weird, huh?  I had to pull my sidewalk chalk donation out because they were confused about what that was.  We were kinda muscled into having our luggage handled for us by a very tall Ethiopian man.  He was extremely abrupt and just grabbed our bags.  It took us all by surprise.  It turned out okay, because he had to call our guesthouse to come pick us up.  They thought I meant PM instead of AM.  So we would have been waiting there for another 12 hours.

While we were waiting outside the airport for our ride, tears started to come to my eyes.  There was this slight breeze in the air, the sun was shining and you could see the city in the distance.  It was absolutely gorgeous out.  I started feeling extremely guilty.  To the point I was starting to feel sick to my stomach.  I started thinking, how could I take these two children, I haven't met yet, away from this beautiful country?  The only thing they have ever known.  Their homeland.  How could I be so selfish?

Many people have said to us, "You're doing such a wonderful thing for them."    But look at what they've done for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment